Energyline Ltd. are a fast-growing independent multi-disciplinary engineering, planning and environmental consultancy based in North Yorkshire, specialising in the design and consenting of power system projects including overhead lines and underground cables. Across the company we offer design solutions, planning and environmental consultancy expertise as well as site-based services including overhead line and underground cable surveys, design studies relating to overhead lines and underground cable schemes, condition inspections, site investigations and engineering/ environmental surveys.
With the current regulatory mandate to transform the energy sector in Great Britain to facilitate Net Zero, there has never been a better time to be a part of this key infrastructure sector. The successful candidate will benefit from the exposure that a SME company offers to a wide range of disciplines and stakeholders.
Due to continued growth we are looking to recruit an experienced Cable System Design Engineer to work alongside our current engineers. In this role, you will be responsible for the development of various cable system designs on the HV transmission network, and MV distribution network working in accordance with industry and network operators design standards and meeting delivery project timescales.
You will also be responsible for providing technical assessment of tender submissions and reporting recommendations to our clients.
As a Cable System Design Engineer, your duties and responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
- Cable system design calculations including cable sizing assessments.
- Preparation and checking of feasibility studies, outline and detailed design, technical reporting and other written documents.
- Design and checking of detail construction design drawings.
- Production of design concepts, drawings, specifications and other technical documents.
- Building and maintaining key TNO and DNO relationships at all levels within the projects attending design and project co-ordination meetings with clients, their consultants and DNO & TNO representatives.
- Ensuring that all designs are designed for safety and are compliant with CDM and Health and Safety regulations, including producing design risk assessments and effectively communicating risks to project engineers and construction teams.
- Ensuring specifications and system designs are in accordance with current legislation, policies and operational requirements.
- Attending sites for inspection and design purposes and attending manufacturer’s factory acceptance tests when required.
- Drive industry best practice and technological advances within the Cables team helping evaluate new technical developments.
- Projecting a professional image to clients and colleagues.
Skills & Knowledge Requirements:
- Minimum BEng/BSc in Electrical or Electronic Engineering (level 2.1 or above).
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience within the HV electricity transmission sector.
- Excellent technical knowledge with the ability to apply practically.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to manage multiple design projects and prioritise conflicting project deadlines.
- Competence in the use of CYMCAP (or equivalent software).
- Familiarity with:
- relevant design standards and transmission network operators design requirements.
- all aspects of cable systems (including but not limited to: cable; terminations; joints and link boxes).
- testing and commissioning requirements.
- the HV cable manufacturing process.
- Bonding arrangements
- Strong technical report writing skills and the ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Good written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with clients, consultants and project engineers.
- Ability to travel and attend meetings and site visits across the whole of the UK which may include occasional overnight stays.
- A full UK driving license.
The following skills and experience would also be desirable:
- Experienced in developing MV (11 – 33 kV) designs cable system designs and the nuances between these distribution voltages and the transmission voltages.
- Knowledge of different types of insulated cables over and above XLPE e.g., fluid filled, PPL, pipe type cable.
- Fault finding and fault investigation experience.
- Experienced with HVDC design and project development.
- Understanding of the tender process and how to undertake tender evaluations.
- Previous experience of cable design at EHV voltages (275 kV and above).
Competitive package including access to the company bonus scheme.
Full time – hybrid working will be considered.
Please upload a copy of your CV with a covering letter via the Recruitment page of our website or send directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further details, a conversation about the role or for any questions your might have, please contact via our office – tel : 01423 – 799950.